Tuesday, April 23, 2013

“You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” ― Maya Angelou

What a great quote! I can definitely relate to that. If you follow this blog you know that in January I started an Art Journal for samples. The idea was to have a 'theme' for each month and explore several ways of dealing with the particular theme.
It has taken me on a journey that I wasn't expecting. The process of creating a small sample each week has blossomed into ideas and creative paths that I hadn't thought about before. I have also been digging through my 'works-in-progress' that have piled up for years and began looking at them in a new light.
So creativity really does generate more creativity.
In the very beginning of the weekly art samples I was being a little too careful & meticulous with the pieces. I was fretting over them more than necessary. I kept telling myself these were not supposed to be 'works of art' just samples for myself to put in a notebook. A workbook of techniques and ideas for future reference.
Once I decided to loosen up and not be so concerned with the finished product I have been able to create my weekly sample plus work on so many more projects that I had lost my mojo on.
Now each time I go into my studio I bubble over with excitement about the next project I plan to work on.
You can check out my Art Journal pieces here:
The project I just finished is this art quilt. I had agonized over how to use the discharged black fabric with other fabrics and create a pleasing and somewhat heavy duty background to support the sand dollar fragments.
This is the fabric I started with below. I had discharge it with bleach using a shibori type technique to stitch the fabric together first. I loved the colors and they pattern and didn't want to cut it up. I wanted to use the whole cloth. I ended up covering quite a bit of it but I love the way the shapes in the discharged fabric sort of mimic the shape of the sand dollars.


Below is a close-up of one of the sand dollars.
I used a thin gauge of wire to create a cage around them.  It made it much easier to stitch the sand dollars to the quilt with them wrapped in the wire. 
I really thought it would end up way too heavy and create buckles and drooping of the fabric. It's completely stable with no drooping whatsoever. I ended up using burlap under the center printed piece and I believe that gave it just the right amount of thickness/firmness to support the sand dollars. I also heavily stitched the center panel using free motion stitching to create the 'tidal pool' effect.
I have named this piece "The Ocean's Currency"


Now that I finally finished this piece, I'm gearing up for another piece that began a couple of years ago.
The above piece was actually sketched and the wire wrapped around the sand dollars in 2010!!!
On to my next project.
live our life creatively~
cathy

1 comment:

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

Create every day if only in your mind escapes...it prepares us for the moment to pen and paper meet...communion. Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart