Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Playing With Photoshop & Texture Tuesday

Winter Sunset
Still suffering through the polar vortex that has gripped most of the nation. Living in the midwest you expect snow & cold temps in the winter, but yesterday was UNBELIEVABLY cold! And today, not a whole lot better-or maybe the deep freeze has just lodged itself in my bones and won't let go….
Soooo- what do I do with  my time while staying snuggly indoors???
After binge watching some shows on netflix I decided to play on the computer. I have made a few jaunts outdoors over the past week, including yesterday (braving -50 windchill ), to take photos of the beautiful snow that has fallen on us REGULARLY for almost a month.  Turning lemons into lemonade by using the massive snowfall for some awesome photos and using the BIG CHILL for time to stay in and play!
The above photo was processed with Kim Klassen's 'love' texture but actually it was such a beautiful sunset I didn't want to process it too much. Mainly just darkened it up a bit. I think when the sun hasn't been out for several days and it's really cold outside that the sunsets seem so much more spectacular!
Shed Some Light
The photo to the left is the light by my garage door. Love the icicles hanging off.
Taken at twilight when the sky was a dusky blue/gray.
Again, processed with Kim's 'love' texture twice at different levels & opacities.
I also played with the levels a bit first.




















My Favorite Willow




































We have a lot of willow trees in our neighborhood. I love them in the spring when they are just budding. I love them in the summer when they are swaying their green fronds in the wind. BUT I really love them in winter!  They have such a beautiful golden color to them. The snow seems to really make them shine!
This photo was also processed with Kim's 'love' texture only once. I also used the omni spotlight on it just to focus more on the tree.


Snowed IN
And last but not least…my garage door.
Processed with Kim's 'love' texture twice. Different levels & opacities.
My garage door is actually gray but with the processing it turned it a nice vintage teal color which I really love!

Hopefully, tomorrow will be above zero and I'll take a ride to the lakefront to take pictures of the magnificent Lake Michigan!

For all of you out there experiencing the freezing temps-stay warm.

~live your life creatively~
Cathy
kimklassencafe

5 comments:

Janine said...

Your winter- photos are very beautiful.

tidbitsandtreasures2011 said...

I, too, am fond of willow trees, especially since they aren't a part of our mid-Florida landscape. I also very much liked the sunset-church scene.

Margie said...

Excellent winter shots.

Barbara said...

such beauty in those cold skies Cathy, can't imagine -50 at all. Must be horrid but the beauty it has brought to the camera lens is awe striking. -50 must be like the 115 we have in the desert only in reverse, either way you stay inside.

Melinda said...

Beautiful images all! I am especially drawn to the willow photo- so lovely! I don't envy you the freezing polar vortex weather, but I do the beauty of the winter landscape.